SeniorAdvice.com, one of the nation's top senior housing referral services, released an article on the best fifteen thriving senior living communities for LGBT seniors. The company recognizes that the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) senior community is currently a very important part of the American population and that the struggle for resources and housing can sometimes be difficult.
According to the American Psychological Association, "more than 39 million people in the U.S. are age 65 years or older including 2.4 million people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). It is estimated that as the baby boomer generation ages, the older adult population will increase from 12.8 percent to an estimated 19 percent in 2030."* Although the LGBT community is growing steadily, the options for LGBT senior housing are not as flourishing. There are a handful of these communities across the country though, and SeniorAdvice.com has put together a list of the most welcoming.
The top fifteen LGBT-friendly senior housing communities in America are:
- The Palms of Manasota in Palmetto, Florida
- The Resort on Carefree Boulevard in Fort Myers, FL
- Stonewall Gardens in Palm Springs, California
- Fountaingrove Lodge in Santa Rosa, CA
- Triangle Square in Hollywood, CA
- Rainbow Vista in Gresham, Oregon
- Discovery Bay Resort in Washington State
- The Residences at Seashore Point in Provincetown, MA
- Birds of a Feather in Pecos, NM
- A Place for Us in Cleveland, OH
- Carefree Cove in Boone, North Carolina
- John C. Anderson Apartments in Philadelphia, PA
- The Pueblo in Apache Junction, Arizona
- Spirit on Lake in Minneapolis, MN
- Townhall Apartments in Chicago, Illinois
There is generally less acceptance of the LGBT community among older generations, which can make it very difficult to find a supportive community within the senior demographic. It is estimated that "48 percent of LGBT older couples face discrimination" according to a 2014 investigation by the nonprofit Equal Rights Center.** In addition to discrimination issues, this community can sometimes encounter financial difficulties as well. These seniors can experience discrimination in the workplace, which can make it hard to afford senior housing and save for retirement. SeniorAdvice.com recognizes these challenges and aims to be a strong resource for LGBT seniors.
Ryan Patterson, SeniorAdvice.com CEO and Founder states, "SeniorAdvice.com will continue to be dedicated and focus on the challenges and needs of seniors of all backgrounds. The LGBTQ senior community faces additional challenges that other seniors do not have to deal with, and we like to provide resources aimed at this group to help make transitioning to senior housing easier for all involved."
SeniorAdvice.com has previously released articles on the "Americas Best Cities for Gay Friendly Retirement," "LGBT Assisted Living Communities – Finding a Gay-Friendly Facility," and "The Struggles and Triumphs of Transgender Seniors.